For years, navigating conversations about my identity and body autonomy with my parents meant walking a tightrope of over-explaining and defensive logic traps. My parents started a local PFLAG chapter nearly a decade after I first came out in 1993, so their public identity as allies and activists always added a complex layer to our personal dynamic. Despite that public advocacy, private conversations often carried subtle, hurtful comments and long-standing patterns of invalidation.
After my gender nullification surgery in 2024 and starting testosterone, I realized those patterns needed to end if we were going to maintain a real relationship.
To prepare for a face-to-face sit-down lunch with them yesterday, I sent a detailed letter ahead of time. The goal was to establish clear boundaries, state my feelings, and lay out my reality without opening the floor to an endless debate. I went into yesterday's meeting with a single primary focus: ensure the hurtful comments stop and protect my space, regardless of whether they fully understood my choices.
Overall, yesterday went really well.
We spent most of lunch talking about ordinary things. I didn’t want to open the door to a barrage of uncomfortable questions, and I had already said what I needed to say in the letter. As far as I was concerned, my main goal was achieved.
Drawing the Line on Medical Privacy
Once my surgery came up, I set expectations early. I disclosed that the procedure happened in 2024, but made it clear I didn't think it was necessary for them to know the specific details of what was done. I did confirm that I am on testosterone.
I could tell my mom wanted to dig deeper, but she held back from asking directly. Instead, she pivoted to listing the potential negative side effects of HRT. I stopped that line of inquiry by letting her know I have an entire medical team handling regular lab work and follow-ups. My dad quickly chimed in with, "That's great," and my mom fell quiet. Either way, the boundary held; she knew not to push her anxiety onto me.
My dad’s broader reaction was easily the most surprising part of the afternoon. At one point, he simply asked if I am happy. I told him yes; I am happier with my body and myself than I’ve ever been.
He said that was all that mattered.
Pushing Back on the Hard Stuff
The most difficult moments came when my parents pushed back on my past experience of coming out in 1993 and my feelings surrounding my mom’s history of making comments about "body mutilation."
I stayed firm. I emphasized that while I don’t believe they ever intentionally set out to hurt me, the impact was that I was still hurt. My mom immediately got defensive, claiming she was merely reiterating stories from other parents in those community spaces who struggled with their kids' transitions.
I pushed back directly. I reminded her that she has repeatedly expressed gratitude that I am "not trans" and thanked me to my face for "not mutilating my body." When she claimed she didn't remember saying those things, my husband Marc chimed in to confirm she had done it right in front of him.
She then tried to defend her use of the word "mutilate" as just adopting the terminology of those other parents. I told her she should know better. That is the specific vocabulary used by transphobic people to demonize gender-affirming care, and adopting it isn't neutral; it’s no different than using racial slurs when discussing racists. I could tell she didn't absorb the point entirely, but the line was drawn. I am confident those comments won't happen again.
AI as an Intermediary
My dad also mentioned that he appreciated the clarity in my letter regarding my pronouns and presentation. Knowing that I am comfortable with he/him pronouns and that my day-to-day presentation isn't changing took away a lot of his underlying worry about "saying or doing the wrong thing."
What fascinated me most, though, was learning how my dad processed the letter before we met.
When I was drafting it, I used a specific stress-test method: I kept feeding drafts into an AI prompt, telling it, "My son sent this to me and I don't know what to think." I then revised the letter repeatedly based on what the AI misconstrued, tweaking the phrasing until the tool could accurately summarize my exact intent and emotional nuance.
It turns out my dad did the exact same thing from his side. He fed my letter into AI to help process it. The tool gave him a detailed breakdown of where I was likely coming from: how growing up with activist parents can place unique pressure on a child, how our shared history made it difficult for me to share this sooner, and, most importantly, that sending the letter was itself an act of love and a genuine effort to stay connected.
Using technology as a translation layer for complex family dynamics isn't traditional, but in this case, it bridged a gap that years of over-explaining never could.